A first-hand journal of The Reducers' Japan Tour 2004.

The Reducers at the El 'N Gee Club, New London, CT

June 28 Osaka 11:43m

Posted by rpb

It's the morning after the Pipe 69 gig in Osaka. Hugh and I spent a half hour searching out an internet cafe and ran into many nice people who managed to steer us in the right direction despite our obvious lack of language skills. (Hugh descriptive language - "Eeeenternet Kah-fay")

It was another winner of a gig last night for The Reducers. The crowd's excitement level built into a frenzy by the end of the set and I have documentation of the audience chanting "Punk Rock Kings! ... Punk Rock Kings!..." to lure the boys out for their encore. A rockin and very, very sweaty night! I'll leave it to Hugh to go into the details.

Now, regarding my physical state... I'm taking a little bit of a beating here but fighting back every step of the way. My right eyelid is a little black and blue as a result of "The Table Incident" from a few days ago, but I've been assured that the color suits me. More than one other Reducer has suggested eyeshadow for the left eye to complete my new fashion statement.

8 hour drive back to Tokyo today (oy!) and then we'll prepare for the gig at The Fiddler tomorrow. The Fiddler is an English Style pub and the plan is for The Reducers to play more relaxed sets with plenty of cover songs. The crowds will go nutty, I'm sure.

Apologies that I haven't been able to get photos through. If we aren't able to do it by the end of the trip I'll put together a comprehensive photo album right after we get back.

OK, I'm gonna go back toward the hotel. There's a record store next door that easily ranks as one of the best I've ever seen. Amazing picture sleeves, comprehensive stock of oft-overlooked artists and tons of things I've never seen before. I've got a yen to spend yen.

Posted by rpb on June 27, 2004 at 10:45 PM EDT

Comments

See if you can find a copy of the Japanese import version of "Radioactive" for me!

And don't forget to post the Pipe69 set list.

Posted by: McD at June 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM EDT

Hey Richard! What a blast! Looking forward to the photos, as well as documentary evidence of these rumored road scars... Are you sure it isn't just the influence of some Tokyo glam band, and this is just an elaborate story to explain away your new penchant for eyeshadow once you get home??
Thanks for the effort to keep up the postings, it is so much fun for everyone here to follow you all - vicarious thrills!
I'll use this space to once again thank Michael D. for the web site, the blog set-up and the loaner equipment - this whole thing is so very VERY cool; even though you are about as far away as you can be, we all are right up to date!! It's priceless.

Whoop it up (and watch your step) -- love from Marty

Posted by: martha at June 28, 2004 at 01:44 AM EDT

Richard,
Sounds like you're having a great time! Are you sure your mishap wasn't caused by one too many Johnny Walker's?
I hope you have pics of the shiner.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the trip!

--frankie

Posted by: mckeon at June 28, 2004 at 02:51 PM EDT

Ran across this today and thought it might be handy to know just in case another table tries to give you trouble:

Mapputatsuni hiki sakuwayo = I will tear you in half